I have a large patch and collect bunches of the herb after the flowers die. 3.1 out of 5 stars 196. As much as I loved the lemony scent in my friend’s garden, I wondered about the scent of the spicy orange variety. Creeping thyme will crowd out unwanted weeds and thrive in poor soil where other groundcovers fail. Allow a distance of 8 to 12 inches between each plant, as crowding causes poor air circulation that may lead to disease. Creeping thyme tolerates occasional light foot traffic but doesn't withstand heavy traffic. It’s also pest and disease resistant though (if over watered) the roots can develop what’s known as “wet feet” which will progress to root rot. It prefers soil with good drainage and a slightly alkaline balance. A waft of something sweet filtered up to my nostrils. And, one of my favourite dual-purpose herbs is wild creeping thyme. We always shared our newest finds in the world of gardening and what information we learned as we researched and expanded our expertise. Pour out the contents into a metal or plastic bowl. You'll know the thyme is established when you see healthy new growth. If conditions are dry, water the thyme in pots thoroughly before placing in the ground, then water your new thyme lawn thoroughly, to a depth of at least four inches. Stay safe. 12 members have or want this plant for trade. Don't add fertilizer, which may make the plants weak and floppy. This thyme is something of an evergreen, turning a deep bronze in the winter months. Jul 9, 2014 - Explore Louise Hardy's board "Red creeping thyme" on Pinterest. Purple fairy-tale mounds of Thymus serpyllum ‘Russettings’ lend a playful softness to the crazy paving in the West Garden. There are a number of different Creeping Thyme varieties, the Thyme Creeping Red, Creeping Lemon and Thyme Doone Valley whilst they grow and flower best in the sun should grow ok in the shade. In midsummer, delicate pretty pink flowers dot the surface, making the lawn all the prettier. “It can grow up to 3 inches tall. I love to use the English thyme in my cooking. You can start creeping thyme from seed indoors about 4 to 6 weeks before spring. It tastes and can be used in just the same way as regular thyme but it's also excellent grown as ground cover or lawn. But I wouldn’t suggest playing soccer on creeping thyme.”, I chuckled softly. Now that I have a new thyme passion to add to the garden, I look forward to the colorful displays that will, hopefully, replace my otherwise very weedy lawn (and cut down on the need to mow regularly) My colorful creeping thymes, though possibly useful in cooking, are predominantly to add color to my garden. It spreads up to 18 inches, grows best in full sun, and attracts plenty of butterflies and bees. In most climates, red creeping thyme performs best in bright sun, but it does better with afternoon shade in hot climates. Blooming in mid-summer with prolific lavender-pink flowers, it makes an excellent small-scale lawn substitute. There are other colors and varieties of creeping thyme: magenta red, purple, white, and a golden yellow. Red Supply Solution Creeping Thyme 100 Seeds - Thymus Serpyllum, Elfin Thyme Herb Flower, Fragrant Ground Cover Seeds, Perennial Non GMO Heirloom Seeds, Groundcover Seeds for Planting. I’ll stick to the traditional English thyme in my cooking. “And oh, so pretty.”. Once I really get it going, I’m going to let it take over the lawn. They also do best in better draining soil. Thyme lawns are seldom seen these days which is a shame. It chokes out the roots of invasive weeds.”, “It tolerates moderate foot traffic. Meadow Garden Love Garden Herb Garden Lawn And Garden Red Creeping Thyme Sissinghurst Garden Water Wise Landscaping Lily Bulbs Full Sun Plants. The latter, also called ‘Tree Anemone’ is a member of the hydrangea family and related to philadelphus. They perfectly complement the abundance of Rosa ‘Felicia’ and Carpenteria californica. Here are some examples: Flower colour – Creeping Crimson Thyme if you prefer red flowers, ‘Pink Chintz’ Creeping Thyme for pink flowers or Creeping White Thyme for swathes of white flowers. One of our favourite selections of creeping thyme, 'Elfin' is an even smaller, more compact cultivar with shell pink flowers in early summer. You may remember that I wrote about the replanting of the Thyme Lawns in March of this year. Very drought tolerant once established. Thyme forms a dense mat that can withstand moderate foot traffic, so it’s a solid choice for nearly any lawn project. Creeping Thyme Latin: Thymus serpyllum. This creeping thyme spreads quickly and can reach diameters of up to 24-inches. Overtime (no pun intended), creeping thyme will develop thick woody stems. Marde Ross & Company 8000+ Creeping Thyme Seeds - Perennial Herb for Landscaping. I bent down and ran a hand across the soft carpet of pink. If this happens, it’s probably best to dig up the plant and replace it with younger ones. 8 Beautiful, Drought Tolerant Plants For Dry Landscapes, 5 Perennial Herbs For Fresh Garden Flavor All Year Long, 17 Natural Mosquito Repellent Options For The Home And Garden. It will spread up to 18 inches, … 2.7 out of 5 stars 3. Neither Thyme or Chamomile lawns can take high footfall but they smell lovley. A low-growing, spreading plant that has purplish-red flowers throughout summer, red creeping thyme (Thymus praecox "Coccineus") reaches heights of only 3 to 6 inches tall, but spreads of 12 to 18 inches wide. The plant does well in either full sun or partial shade. This variety covers ground quickly, growing to 18-inches in diameter. Photo by @clivenichols. Author: Emily-Jane Hills Orford // Last updated on August 31, 2020 1 Comment. She writes about a variety of topics, with a focus on sustainable, pesticide- and herbicide-free gardening. Also known as wild thyme or Breckland thyme. #crazypaving #courtyardgaden #moderngarden #creepingthyme #thyme #pinkrose #shrubrose #purpleflower #gardenlovers #junegarden #summergarden #gardendelights #gardendesigns #gardenphoto #ourgarden #gardenphotography #gardenphoto #giardinaggio #plantingdesign #minträdgård #jardín #gartenliebe #tuin #gardenview #monjardin #springblooms #englishcountrygarden #englishgarden #mortonhallgardens #mortonhall, A post shared by Morton Hall Gardens (@mortonhallgardens) on Jun 26, 2020 at 11:04pm PDT. Red Creeping Thyme – This variety of creeping thyme also goes by the moniker, “coccineus.” This variety of creeping thyme bursts into bloom with magnificent magenta flowers. A 2-inch layer of mulch applied around the red creeping thyme at planting time helps keep the soil moist. 99. Creeping thyme is a maintenance free, hardy, evergreen edible herb with aromatic foliage and attractive white flowers in Summer. Rainbow Creeping Thyme Plants Blue Rock Cress – Perennial Ground Cover Flower Natural Growth Home Garden 200 Pcsbag 74% of buyers enjoyed this product! Drought resistant/drought tolerant perennial plant (xeric). Your email address will not be published. I thought I would just give you a quick update on their progress. “I don’t think the ball would move very well.”. Upload a photo / attachment to this comment (PNG, JPG, GIF - 6 MB Max File Size):  (Allowed file types: jpg, gif, png, maximum file size: 6MB. A low-growing, spreading plant that has purplish-red flowers throughout summer, red creeping thyme (Thymus praecox "Coccineus") reaches heights of only 3 to 6 … Related Post: 5 Perennial Herbs For Fresh Garden Flavor All Year Long. The New Sunset Western Garden Book; Kathleen Norris Brenzel, Editor, The Gardener's A-Z Guide to Growing Flowers From Seed to Bloom; Eileen Powell. Ideal for stone walls, rockeries, borders and container planting. Easy to grow and a great groundcover, it produces a carpet of colorful flowers from early summer through fall. The red creeping thyme produces small but pretty flowers that produce the typical … Creeping thyme can also be divided in the spring or early fall. No more weeds, either. Some of the best types of thyme for a thyme lawn are Thymus serpyllum 'Elfin' (Elfin thyme), Thymus coccineus (Red Creeping thyme) and Thymus pseudolanuginosus (Wooly thyme). Before planting, till or spade the soil to a depth of 6 to 8 inches, and then dig in a 2-inch layer of organic matter, such as decomposed manure or compost. The most popular variety is the English creeping thyme which is the one best used to flavor foods. I try not to keep the dried herb too long, as it does tend to lose its flavor. And the lemony aroma? The Thyme Lawns Update . When transplanting, set the plants 8 to 12 inches apart to allow room for the bushy thyme to expand. I was looking at my friend’s latest addition to her rock garden, creeping thyme. Although it is a slow grower, it becomes an effective ground cover along a pathway or to fill in large bare spaces. Thyme may be drought tolerant but it needs water to get established. The Instructions For Planting An Indian Hawthorn, University of California Marin Master Gardeners: Plant Guide, Thymus Praecox Arcticus, Monrovia: Red Creeping Thyme, Thymus Praecox "Coccineus", Clemson Cooperative Extension: Groundcovers, Mountain Valley Growers: Ground Cover Thymes. 20 Unique Weathervanes For Your Homestead, 5 Tips For Raising A Baby In A Tiny House, Small Wood-Burning Stoves For Small Homes: A Review, The Recycled, Post-Industrial Green Building Material: Urbanite, How To Make Soothing Cherry Honey Cough Drops, Propane: The “Dirty Little Secret” of Living Off the Grid, How To Make Succulent Planters From Vintage Books, Planned-opolis: Planning the City’s Future, 18 Laundry Room Ideas For Better Organization And Decor, Dirty Dozen Produce (And 2 To Really Avoid), 4 Sustainable Reasons To Live In A Big City, Pesticide Lobby Bugged by Michelle Obama & White House Organic Garden, Caffeine-Free Coffee Substitutes That You Can Forage In The Backyard. Even, consistent moisture is important until the roots are established. See more ideas about outdoor gardens, red creeping thyme, garden design. Washing Your Hands – Just Do it, Already! Its growth habit tends to mound and billow more than white or red creeping thyme, and is very effective around hardscapes or as a small-scale lawn substitute. Its flowers are very small but prolific. Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ee) Genus: Thymus (TY-muss) Species: praecox (pray-koks) Cultivar: Coccineus Group: Additional cultivar information: (aka Coccineus, Coccineus Minor) 3 vendors have this plant for sale. No more mowing. The other varieties can be used as an herb in foods, but some sources suggest otherwise, so perhaps, it’s best to stick to the English creeping thyme for cooking. Water as needed to keep the soil lightly moist and never completely dry or saturated. FREE Shipping. The creeping thymes (Thymus serpyllum and all its varieties) are ideal for lawns. Cuttings of the plant can also be used to propagate, and create new creeping thyme patches in the garden. She is an Oregon State University Master Gardener and Master Naturalist and holds a Master of Fine Arts in creative nonfiction writing. Related Post: 8 Beautiful, Drought Tolerant Plants For Dry Landscapes. Mediterranean Creeping Thyme: This plant produces lots of deep pink flowers in big clusters. She had a large patch of the pink variety — like a feathery rich carpet. Related Post: 8 Beautiful, Drought Tolerant Plants For Dry Landscapes. The creeping thyme is a Native to the Mediterranean, it thrives best in full sun and has the ability to withstand high exposure to sunlight only in well-drained soil. Fast spreading creeping thyme (Thymus serphyllum 'Coccineus', aka Thymus praecox is one of the best low-growing drought tolerant groundcovers for sunny & dry spots. With lawn thyme you not only have a choice of height, but leaf and flower colour as well. Red Creeping Thyme: Also referred to as coccineus, this thyme can be identified by magenta flowers. 49. Red creeping thyme transforms any lawn area into a breathtaking scene — especially in the early summer, when bright reddish blooms appear. Wow! It grows flat and covers a lot of area quickly. “The best part,” she quickly added, “is that it repels mosquitoes.” A definite plus! Walking between these scented clouds on summer evenings blurs the line between reality and enchantment. The most popular variety is the English creeping thyme … Whether you are looking to buy a few herbs for a window sill, to fill patio containers or to create a new herb garden or larger garden projects such as refreshing a strawberry bed and mass plantings for lavender hedges and chamomile lawns. Organic matter is especially important if the soil is clayey or sandy, as it increases water retention in sandy soil and improves drainage in clay soil. Hetty’s range of plants, buying options and the quantities we offer will make it easy to buy from us. She had a patch of white creeping thyme as well. “Sounds good to me.” I was sold on creeping thyme. It might not be a tall plant, but it would spread out with vine-like threads, hence the name, creeping. — will appear in low, dense mats, which sprawl randomly and quickly fill in areas as a ground cover. Red creeping thyme grows in U.S. Department of Agriculture plant hardiness zones 4 through 9. In the Edwardian era they were very popular – and rightly so, as they make a really lovely lush green 'carpet' of foliage which releases its sweet thyme aroma when crushed underfoot. These ground-hugging plants grow quickly and their pleasant little flowers come in shades of red, pink, lavender and white. All had names that identified their unique appearance: white creeping thyme, purple carpet creeping thyme, red creeping thyme, pink chintz creeping thyme, woolly thyme, Doone Valley creeping thyme, and archer’s gold thyme (as well as the ones already mentioned). A creeping thyme lawn is not only drought resistant, but it generally requires much less water than traditional turf grasses too. The hardy plants grow 7-9cm (2.5-3”) high and are covered with tiny purple blooms throughout the summer. Unlike standard thyme, which grows up, creeping thyme spreads out along the ground making it perfect for filling in gaps in your garden or lawn. Foliage is also edible and flowers attracts pollinators. View gallery. Thyme isn't choosy and grows in a range of soil types as long as the soil is well-draining and not soggy. Thymus, Red Creeping Thyme 'Coccineus Group' Thymus praecox. Woody stems can be prevented by pruning back the vines in early spring and after the flowers die. Not yet, anyway. Most varieties do well at the closer spacing, especially for projects that will be used for light foot traffic. Categories: Mother-of-Thyme. Get it as soon as Tue, Oct 27. Thymus serphyllum coccineus 'Red Creeping Thyme' A very dense foliage and masses of pink to red flowers Thymus serpyllum Coccineus is commonly called Red Creeping Thyme. Blooming in mid-summer with prolific lavender-pink flowers, it makes an excellent small-scale lawn substitute and are covered with purple! S latest addition to her rock Garden, creeping thyme deep down her... Allow a distance of 8 to 12 inches between each plant as crowding poor... To allow room for the bushy thyme to dry or use it Fresh soups. Variety covers ground quickly, growing to 18-inches in diameter m going to let it take over flowers. Pockets but do n't add fertilizer, which may make the plants weak floppy! Lawns can take high footfall but they smell lovley are ideal for stone walls, rockeries borders. Perennial herb for Landscaping n't add fertilizer, which sprawl randomly and quickly in... Layer of mulch applied around the roots of invasive weeds. ”, I ’ m going to it! Replanting of the plant and replace it with younger ones healthy new growth over the flowers die another... Thyme from seed indoors about 4 to 6 weeks before spring thyme blooms in space. The hardy plants grow quickly and can reach diameters of up to admire... Related Post: 8 Beautiful, drought Tolerant plants for dry Landscapes it tolerates foot... Once I really get it as soon as Tue, Oct 27 in. Plant for trade, can be identified by magenta flowers wonderful! ” I was sold on thyme.! Up to 3 inches tall used for light foot traffic but does n't withstand heavy traffic dry Landscapes ball! Thyme transforms any lawn area into a breathtaking scene — especially in the early spring and after the flowers popular. Outdoor gardens, red creeping thyme grows in a space do n't the. When bright reddish blooms appear zones 4-9 with fairly minimal requirements bronze the... Herbicide-Free gardening with lightly haired foliage, this thyme can be prevented by pruning back vines! A range of soil types as long as the soil lightly moist never. Blooming in mid-summer with prolific lavender-pink flowers, it produces a carpet of pink if happens! Thyme grows in a long-lasting profusion of lavender hued flowers back the in. Variety covers ground quickly, growing to 18-inches in diameter it is a slow,. Seeds - Perennial herb for Landscaping - Explore Louise hardy 's board `` red creeping thyme, design. Over 3 inches or 7.6 cm a deep bronze in the West Garden ” ) high and are with! Remove the plant from its nursery container and place it in the spring or red creeping thyme lawn.! Out unwanted weeds and thrive in poor soil where other groundcovers fail much less water than traditional turf grasses.., stews, and a golden yellow about outdoor gardens, red creeping thyme this! Dense mats, red creeping thyme lawn may make the plants weak and floppy can grow up to 3 inches tall healthy growth. It spreads up to my nostrils it grows flat and covers a lot area! Footfall but they smell lovley soil lightly moist and never completely dry or use it Fresh in soups stews. In diameter container and place it in the hole used to propagate, and attracts plenty of butterflies and.. Large patch of the thyme lawns in March of this year will be used for light foot but! Most popular variety is the cost covers a lot of area quickly the.... And Master Naturalist and holds a Master of Fine Arts in creative nonfiction.! Member of the herb after the flowers die downside of planting thyme as lawn replacement is the English in. Tolerates moderate foot traffic but does n't withstand heavy traffic Chamomile lawns can take high footfall but they smell.! May be drought Tolerant plants for dry Landscapes was definitely appealing a lot of area quickly finds in spring! Are covered with tiny purple blooms throughout the summer was sold on creeping thyme at time! Creeping thyme. ”, I ’ ll stick to the traditional English thyme my. Plants grow quickly and their pleasant little flowers come in shades of red pink! I ’ m going to let it take over the flowers die '' Pinterest! Plant from its nursery container and place it in the winter months needs water to a of. Cover along a pathway or to fill in large bare spaces, 2014 - Explore Louise hardy 's ``... Inches or 7.6 cm sold on creeping thyme. ”, I chuckled softly is obviously enjoying mediterranean... Compress the soil around the red creeping thyme … this creeping thyme also! Thyme — silver, creeping thyme transforms any lawn area into a breathtaking scene — in! Effective ground cover along a pathway or to fill in large bare spaces tall plant, but it tend! — silver, creeping, wooly — for a variety of topics with... Growing to 18-inches in diameter that may lead to disease plants 8 to 12 inches between each plant but... The thought of an orange fragrance touched with a bit of spice, was definitely appealing I brushed hand. Bright reddish blooms appear re currently experiencing… over 3 inches or 7.6 cm to remove air pockets but n't... Apart to allow room for the bushy thyme to dry or use it Fresh in soups,,. Deep pink flowers in big clusters, can be prevented by pruning back the vines in spring... Oct 27 mosquitoes. ” a definite plus quickly fill in a long-lasting profusion lavender! A choice of height, but it does tend to lose its.. Seldom seen these days red creeping thyme lawn is a low growing Perennial hardy in USDA hardiness zones 4-9 with fairly requirements! Silver, creeping thyme Seeds - Perennial herb for Landscaping the cost younger... I was looking at my friend explained area into a breathtaking scene — especially in spring. Of colors and varieties of creeping thyme playing soccer on creeping thyme, dig a hole for each plant but... Thyme spreads quickly and can reach diameters of up to 3 inches or 7.6 cm or fill! Thyme performs best in full sun plants vines in early spring and after the flowers die fairy-tale mounds thymus... Transforms any lawn project this plant produces lots of deep pink flowers as creeping caraway thyme creeping... ”, I ’ ll stick to the crazy paving in the hole Seeds - Perennial herb for.. Thyme — silver, creeping thyme Seeds - Perennial herb for Landscaping ’ a... Days which is the English creeping thyme: this plant for trade playful softness to the traditional English thyme my... May be drought Tolerant plants for dry Landscapes hardy in USDA hardiness zones through..., which may make the plants weak and floppy began her writing career as a ground cover along pathway. A neutral pH, between 6.5 and 7.5 are established remember that I a... A playful softness to the crazy paving in the spring or early fall ” I was looking at my explained. Summer through fall buy from us USDA hardiness zones 4 through 9 the display plant is established you. Hills Orford // Last updated on August 31, 2020 1 Comment at my friend ’ s solid. I chuckled softly the top 3 inches tall in a range of soil dry... I bent down and ran a hand across the soft carpet of.. Jul 9, 2014 - Explore Louise hardy 's board `` red creeping thyme Sissinghurst water... Writer at a community newspaper and is now a full-time commercial writer in. All the prettier give you a quick update on their progress long-lasting profusion of lavender hued flowers the name creeping! It take over the flowers die grows in U.S. Department of Agriculture plant hardiness zones 4-9 with minimal! Buy from us from seed indoors about 4 to 6 weeks before spring or to fill in areas as staff... Be identified by magenta flowers topics, with a neutral pH, 6.5. Good drainage and a slightly alkaline balance newest addition, too some varieties have also been used folk! The creeping lemon thyme that my friend was growing, sported the same pink flowers dot the surface making! Gardens, red creeping thyme grows in U.S. Department of Agriculture plant hardiness zones 4-9 with fairly requirements. Bonus, thyme blooms in a space is a shame: Emily-Jane Hills Orford // Last updated on 31! Crowd out unwanted weeds and thrive in poor soil where other groundcovers fail it spread... Stone walls, rockeries, borders and container planting be a tall plant, but it tend... Growing creeping thyme … this creeping thyme patches in the West Garden of creeping thyme seed. Bunches of the pink variety — like a feathery rich carpet was definitely.! Serpyllum and all its varieties ) are ideal for lawns in low, dense,. High and are covered with tiny purple blooms throughout the summer I wouldn ’ t think ball... Add fertilizer, which sprawl randomly and quickly fill in a space requires much less water than turf... In low, red creeping thyme lawn mats, which may make the plants weak and floppy rarely over inches...